Monday, October 12, 2009

Susan G. Komen

My family and I had the privilege of participating in the Susan G. Komen 5K on Sunday. We had relatives come in from Texas, California and around Phoenix. We participated because my aunt Cindy was diagnosed with breast cancer in December. My sister, cousin and I ran the 5K. (It was my first 5K and it felt great!) Brandon and my nephew Kyle also ran the 5K but ran a lot faster than we did. My mom, 3 aunts, cousin, niece and nephew walked the 5K. Those of us who ran circled back around so we could cross the finish line with the walkers and were linked hand in hand as we all crossed together in celebration of Cindy. It was a huge event and very special to be a part of. Everywhere you looked you saw people who were running in memory of their mom, sister, aunt, friend, etc. It was a day of kleenex and fun.



After such a huge undertaking, we were treated to a delicious homemade breakfast prepared by the husbands and Tyler who of course couldn't run because of his cast and my nephew Cameron who stayed home to support his cousin Tyler. Next year we plan to participate again and hope to have even more of us participate.

*You will notice we are wearing PINK cowboy hats! Cindy and most of us are from Texas so it was fun to celebrate our roots as well as the power of PINK!


My aunt Cindy and her daughter, Jennifer.



I was so proud of Brandon for wanting to run and support this great cause! It was special to do this together.
Jamie and I with my Aunt Cindy.

4 comments:

Critter said...

What a great cause!!

Heather Bower said...

That is so cool that you guys could do that together... it made me tear up... your boys are so sweet.

Trudy said...

So very proud of you!!!!!

Unknown said...

I love the picture of Brandon in the pink Cowboy hat. Precious!